News from San Jose
Here you will find up to date information about what's going on in the WCS San Jose Location. It's easy to find who to contact, where to go and when it's all happening! If you need to reach us, please Email the San Jose Managers.
Competitions for the San Jose chapter are hosted by the Art Boutiki, a combination comic book store, art gallery, and all ages music venue at 44 Race Street, San Jose. The venue has a varied menu with beer and wine (buy something!), and well-lit stage with a killer sound system and a grand piano. Come on by!
- First Wednesday of the month
- Location: ArtBoutiki 44 Race St., San Jose
- SIGN-UP: 6:30 pm. Start time: 7 pm.
- Be sure to invite your friends. Audience encouraged and please grab something to eat to help support the venue.
- Please make sure that you membership is current.
- Non-members are ineligible to win (but can perform, time permitting)
- Managers Iari Melchor and Pete Sommer
Format: When you sign up let us know the following -
- Name of Competition Song.
- Length of song (please keep to “radio edit” - 3-4 minutes)
- What kind of mics do you need, e.g. two people: two vocal, one guitar plug in, or one person: one vocal and one keyboard
- If there are 15 or fewer performers, you can sing two songs. If that is the case and you would like to sing a second song, please list the names of the songs and indicate which one you are submitting for the competition.
- Are you a member of WCS? Yes or No If yes, please have your membership card with you (Photo on phone ok). If you are not a member, that’s fine but you will only be evaluated. You can’t compete for prizes. Sign ups are first come/first serve, but with members taking priority. You are welcome to join before your performance (membership form will be provided on site). The one year membership fee is $100. or $50 if under 21. Visit our membership page for benefits and perks.
- Please be ready to come up on stage, ready to perform. THERE IS NO TIME FOR INDIVIDUAL SOUND CHECK. But you may strum a few bars and say something into the mic before you start... that kind of thing
- BRING LYRIC SHEETS if possible, three copies of the song to be judged including your name, song title, and all on one page. This helps the judges!
- Best Song of the Month wins an invitation to compete in the Playoffs for Best Song of the Year and a chance to compete in the Finals. Additionally, Best song winner will be on the WCS YouTube Channel as a featured artist. Video file (not YouTube link), song title, location and short blurb with link to website/facebook should be provided to email@example.com
- New Studio Sponsor - Electric Giraffe Studio. High Fidelity Analog Meets Modern Production firstname.lastname@example.org
- Best Performance of the Month:
- Playoffs are in July to determine San Jose Best Song Of The Year. In August, the winners of Best Song of the Year from every WCS Location compete at the Finals for WCS Best Song of the Year. Three winners are chosen to perform at the annual WCS Conference in September.
WCS Grand Finals: 08/24/18
- Follow us on Twitter @WCSong
- Follow us on Facebook
- Subscribe to WCS YouTube
- Post our logo and link on your sites - help share the news!
WEST COAST SONGWRITERS
WCS is one of the oldest and most active songwriter organizations in the world. WCS is a non-profit with more than 1,200 members. Membership and admission charges are tax deductible. WCS is a volunteer organization. If you can volunteer, please speak with the Managers or contact WCS. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to ask the Managers.
Monthly Winners YouTube
Monthly Competition Photos
APRIL 2018 Winners:
Best Song: Meghan Williams - "Somewhere Now"
Best Performance: Michael McNevin - "Get Me Out of Here"e"
Thanks to our judges: Bev Barnett & Greg Newlon
Thanks to our judges: Kenny Shick & Mark LeMon..Chapter Managers Pete Sommer, Iari Melchor
FEBRUARY 2018 Winners:
Best Song: Austin Freeman - "California"
Best Performance: Patrick McCauley - "Layin Law"
JANUARY 2018 Winners:
Best Song: Emily Brown - "Giving Up"
Best Performance: Megan Steinke - "Gatherings
Thanks to our judges: Tiffany Joy & Maqui Reyes of Individuo.
DECEMBER 2017 Winners:
Best Song: Philip Engstrom “Goodbye Virginia”
Best Performance: Stephen Grant “Why Do Angels Cry”
OCTOBER 2017 Winners:
Best Song: Megan Williams - “On Broken Wings”
Best Performance: Anthony Arya