News from Salinas, Monterey Bay
Welcome to the new chapter of WCS!
Our first competition will be held, MAY 17th at 6;30PM at Downtown Book & Sound, Salinas
Here you will find up to date information about what's going on in the WCS Monterey Bay Location. It's easy to find who to contact, where to go and when it's all happening! If you need to reach us, please contact the Monterey Bay Managers. (831 435 4636)
Competitions for the Monterey Bay chapter are hosted by the Downtown Book & Sound, a combination music & book store, at 222 Main St, Salinas. Come on by!
- Third Thursday of the month (except May 17)
- Location: Downtown Book & Sound, 222 Main St., Salinas
- SIGN-UP: 6:30 pm. Start time: 7 pm.
- Be sure to invite your friends. Audience encouraged.
- Please make sure that you membership is current. Have a photo of your membership card on your cell phone for ease
- Non-members are ineligible to win (but can perform, time permitting)
- Managers: Trisha and Jeannie
- Best Song of the Month wins an invitation to compete in the Playoffs for Best Song of the Year and a chance to compete in the Finals. Additionally, Best song winner will be on the WCS YouTube Channel as a featured artist. Video file (not YouTube link), song title, location and short blurb with link to website/facebook should be provided to firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Studio Sponsor - Real to Reel Studios, Sand City
- Best Performance of the Month:
- Playoffs are in July to determine San Jose Best Song Of The Year. In August, the winners of Best Song of the Year from every WCS Location compete at the Finals for WCS Best Song of the Year. Three winners are chosen to perform at the annual WCS Conference in September.
JUDGE: Patrick Ireland – Old guy, songwriter, singer, producer, clinical hypnotherapist
Patrick Ireland has been quite a prolific songwriter, having penned well over 500 songs in his 50+ year career as an entertainer. He had his first songs published in 1966 and began recording in 1967 while part of a folk group called The Village Squires. During his long career, Patrick has toured extensively, often as an opening act for folks like Jimmy Buffet, Jim Croce, The Beach Boys, Alabama and many, many more, singing only original material, often very recently written.
“Between the late 60’s and the early 80’s there were first line music venues to play at in every big city and, when I wasn’t playing college concerts, I played them all,” laughs Patrick. “I may not be famous, but I am one hell of a rumor.” He played hundreds of college concerts, all over the country. At many of those same colleges (SMU-Dallas, University of Minnesota, Western Michigan, etc,) Patrick was a guest lecturer. The subject was “The Art of Songwriting”.
Deciding to tour a lot less, Patrick became what many songwriters hoped to be, a successful jingle writer/singer. At times he was also the on-screen talent and could often be seen and/or heard on SF Bay Area radio and TV several times every day.
“The last time I was a judge for the West Coast Songwriters, I’m pretty sure they sent us songs on cassettes.”
WCS Grand Finals: 08/24/18
- Follow us on Twitter @WCSong
- Follow us on Facebook
- Subscribe to WCS YouTube
- Post our logo and link on your sites - help share the news!
WEST COAST SONGWRITERS
WCS is one of the oldest and most active songwriter organizations in the world. WCS is a non-profit with more than 1,200 members. Membership and admission charges are tax deductible. WCS is a volunteer organization. If you can volunteer, please speak with the Managers or contact WCS. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to ask the Managers.
MAY 2018 Winners:
349 B. Olympia Ave., Sand City CA
Gary Souza (831) 899-1969